shellgal

A newborn doctor who is enthusiastic about her career and passionate for her life and of course, she also dreams a lot when she is awake...

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Handicapped


Injured my right wrist while playing beach volleyball few days ago on the Redang Island. I was severely depressed on the next day after the injury as I had to give up scuba diving. Apart from treating this Redang trip as my last batch trip before convocation, Scuba Diving was part of the reasons for me to land on this island!

My mood has turned better in the afternoon, after a nice nap on the beach while my friends were away in the Marine Park for snorkeling. I did not go snorkeling as well, for the reason of not abling to manipulate my right hand easily and in case of emergency under the water, there is a risk of drowning!

Well, however, I still had a good time on my own that afternoon. Nothing is more relaxing than couching in slumber on the beach, with no disturbance at all for almost 2-3 hours...enjoying the breeze and listening to the seawaves...

I thought I have already overcome the fact that I injured the rightwrist and now I'm allowing time for it to heal. Who knows, I dropped a cup of fruit juice this morning, and spilled its content all over the table...I couldn't hold the glass firmly due to pain, and weakness of grasping the cup properly. The feeling appeared again - feeling of useless, functionless, handicapped, disabled...etc And later in the afternoon, I started to worry about my right hand, in fear of the trauma giving this dominant hand some residual weakness and some kind of pain caused by traumatic/degenerative osteoarthritis later in life.

I was worried about not being able to hold scissors, cutting needles, suture material, scalpel blade, forceps...since I cannot hold the kitchen utensils (forks, spoons, cups, chopsticks) properly at the moment.I will seriously be demoralized if my right wrist heals with deformity or some residual weakness :(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home